Pad Kra Pao, Kai Dao
After a fantastic holiday in Thailand, I would like to share one our favorite dishes with you - Pad Kra Pao, Kai Dao. Pad Kra Pao Gai means Thai Chicken Basil and kai dao is egg on rice. The picture at the bottom left is how it was served in Thailand, costing 45 baht which is about $1.25.
I prefer chicken in the Pad Kra Pao but it is also very good with minced pork. Here is a recipe that I tested with minced pork.
- 500g ground pork or shredded chicken
- 3 large garlic cloves, peeled
- 4 red chillies, more if it is to be really strong
- 1 large shallot, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp dark sweet soy sauce - Kecap Manis
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 handfull holy basil, Thai basil
- any vegetables, I added carrots
- a dash of palm sugar
When the meat is cooked through, check the amount of liquid in the pan. If it is too dry, add a little water. When it is ready, toss in the basil leaves and remove from heat. Serve with rice with a fried egg on top.
Arroy mak mak!